Body Renewal Tip
Unfortunately "Perfect skin" has not been handed out by nature - it has to be bought and this usually comes at an expensive price. No matter how great your skin is at 25, the inevitable age spots, pigmentation marks, red blemishes and sagging will slowly leave their marks on one's face by the time one reaches 35.
At Body Renewal we pride ourselves on visible results and encourage the use of transdermal mesotherapy in most of our treatments. As an aesthetic clinic we offer anti ageing treatment options of microdermabrasion and transdermal mesotherapy with Hyaluronic acid with growth factors and problem specific additives as an addition to all our facials and body treatments to ensure amazing results.
If you feel that your skin requires more intensive treatments please schedule an appointment with the aesthetic doctor to determine which medical aesthetic treatment should be prescribed for your concerns.
At Body Renewal, with combination treatments every 2 - 4 weeks, in 3 - 6 months we can take almost any skin to the next level: luminous, smooth and tight.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1What is an Alpha Hydroxy Peel?
- 2When should one start Alpha Hydroxy Peels?
- 3Who would benefit from exfoliation treatments with Alpha Hydroxy Chemical peels?
- 4Is Alpha Hydroxy Peels available at all Body Renewal branches?
- 5What preparation of the skin is needed prior to an exfoliation procedure?
- 6What results can be expected after an AHA Peel?
- 7What to Expect After an Alpha Hydroxy Acid Chemical Peel?
- 8Can exfoliation treatments be combined with other treatments?
- 9Anti Ageing and problem specific optional extras after an Alpha Hydroxy Acid Peel include:
- 10How many treatment sessions are needed?
- 11Can all skin types be safely treated with Alpha Hydroxy Acid Chemical Peel?
A superficial alpha hydroxy chemical peel is a quick, no downtime procedure that renews the skin by lifting dead cells off the surface of your skin and stimulating the metabolism of the cells underneath. This is achieved with minimal to no visible peeling on the skin, unlike many other chemical peel solutions. With a series of alpha hydroxy chemical peels you can quickly achieve substantial improvement in the appearance of superficial lines and uneven pigmentation, while making your skin look and feel softer, smoother, and more radiant. Acne scars and enlarged pores may become less noticeable (although scarring may require additional treatment modalities depending on depth and severity of the scarring). Acne breakouts may be reduced and , to an extent, controlled with regular Alpha Hydroxy peels. At Body Renewal we use the NeoStrata Medical Range of Alpha hydroxy peels.
- The skin is continually undergoing natural exfoliation. As one ages the epidermal cell turnover slows down and one's skin becomes dull because the topmost layer consisting of dead cells becomes too thick. This dead layer can impair the the skin’s natural functioning, causing whiteheads, blackheads, rough texture and uneven appearance of the skin tone.
- If one exfoliates regularly, new healthy skin cell are exposed to nutrients from the air, water and daily skin products. These nutrients are then transported to the deeper skin cells where they are needed, improving circulation and regular barrier function.
- Acne is improved by the unplugging of pores to release the excessive sebaceous secretions which cause pimples if they become infected with bacteria.
- Potential benefits of Alpha Peels include fresher, brighter looking skin with better penetration of active ingredients of skin care products.
Many skin problems are associated with excessive build up of dead cells making the skin hardened, uneven and dull. Problems are exacerbated by exposure to the sun, pollution, and other environmental effects, leading to damage and disease.
Mild exfoliation treatments are usually suitable for all skin types including those patients with acne or sensitive skin.
All skin types can be treated
All age groups even the very young can be treated
All areas of the body can be treated
Patients with hormonal pigmentation problems such as epidermal melasma can be treated, however additional modalities are required to control and maintain the results of the treatment of melasma.
Individuals who have sunspots, sun-damaged skin, dry skin, ageing skin, oily skin with enlarged pores and acne scarring are also good candidates.
Any skin requiring a boost with mild resurfacing can benefit from an Alpha Hydroxy Acid peel.
Alpha Hydroxy Peels available in Johannesburg, Sandton and Pretoria at the Morningside, Parkhurst, Bedfordview, Fourways, Illovo, Irene, Brooklyn as well as in the Western Cape at Cape Quarter, Claremont, Constantia, Somerset West, Stellenbosch and Willowbridge branches and KwaZulu Natal in Hillcrest and Umhlanga.
After your initial consultation, you will be given a Brightening cream (or a pigment inhibiting cream), which must be applied to the entire face daily for ten to 14 days before the peeling process can begin. This down regulates 6 enzyme pathways that produces melanin and will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation (PIH) that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
- Fine lines and wrinkles become less apparent
- Skin tone evens out and improvement of overall skin colour
- Texture becomes more refined and smooth
- Oily or acne prone skin is improved
- Rehydrates tired, damaged skin as the AHA is hydrating
- Enlarged pores appear smaller and spots minimized
- Improves colour and smoothness of old scars (depending on the depth and severity of the scars)
- Skin appears healthier and more youthful
- Increased natural skin glow and radiance
- Overall improvement in skin condition of the face and body
- Usually the skin is normal immediately after a mild Alpha Hydroxy Acid peel and makeup may be applied after your session.
- Depending upon the strength of the Alpha Hydroxy Acid chemical peel, a mild redness of the skin may occur following the procedure followed by mild scaling that ends within three to seven days. (Three days being the max for mild SHS Peels and this can be slightly extended when more aggressive AHA solutions are used, as when treating rough areas on the body)
- Mild Alpha Hydroxy Acid peels may be repeated at two to four-week intervals for a series of 6 peels until the desired clinical effect is achieved. With each additional treatment, you should see incremental gains in the overall appearance of the skin. Often, the best overall results are seen up to 30 days after the final treatment in the series.
- Your skin usually feels tighter and smoother but may also feel a little sting or itch.
- You will care for your skin by using a mild non-abrasive cleanser or other mild products for five days as well as protecting your new skin with adequate sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as an active ingredient.
- In addition, it is best to avoid prolonged sun exposure.
- It is also very important to continue the use of your pigment inhibiting products.
Alpha Hydroxy Acid Peels can be performed alone or in combination with numerous other treatments we offer. For maximal benefit, 4 to 6 in-office professional Alpha Hydroxy peels every 2 - 4 weeks should be teamed with an anti ageing optional extra to create an environment in which the skin is continuously rejuvenated.
At Body Renewal we pride ourselves on visible results. As an aesthetic clinic we offer anti ageing treatments and problem specific additives as an addition to our peels to ensure amazing results. If you feel that your skin requires more intensive treatments please schedule an appointment with the aesthetic doctor to determine which medical aesthetic treatment should be prescribed.
- Acne using TCA overlays
- Anti Ageing using Growth Factors with transdermal Mesotherapy
- Including Anti oxidants using Transdermal Vit Cor various other topicals
- Hydrating using transdermal mesotherapy with Hyaluronic Acid
- Hormonal Pigmentation using TCA
- Microdermabrasion combination
- Laser combination
- Carboxy therapy combination
- The inclusion of injectables for Anti-ageing such as Botox and Dermal Fillers are also highly beneficial
Results can be seen after the third or fourth treatment. For best results 4 to 8 treatments are needed 2 weeks apart. Many patients report more improvement 30 days and more after their treatment package is already complete.
Yes, Alpha Hydroxy Acid Chemical Peels safely treats all skin types without significant pain or down-time. It can improve acne, texture, pores, pigmentation, and surface irregularities in only 4 to 6 treatment sessions two to four weeks apart.
This treatment has not yet been reviewed. To review this treatment click here