This infusion is for every athlete, whether you are a weekend warrior, training for a marathon, wanting to reach the finish line faster or just trying to stay in excellent physical shape. Our mission at Body & Health Renewal is to inspire peak performance through a combination of unique infusions, products and actionable information. Combining cutting edge science, earth-grown nutrients and time-tested strategies we are dedicated to providing our elite athletes with supplements, foods and information to achieve a new level of well-being we call "Total Human Optimization".
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1IV nutrient therapy helps elite athletes to:
- 2Superior Recovery: Can you relate to this?
- 3Why is the recovery phase / process so important?
- 4Why would an elite athlete benefit from the ATHLETE PERFORMANCE COCKTAIL infusion of essential micronutrients?
- 5What other vital anti oxidants and nutrients are included in a separate IV "push" for athletes?
- 6What long term benefits are there of IV infusions and supplementation?
- 7Why would an elite athlete benefit from the ATHLETE PERFORMANCE COCKTAIL infusion of essential micronutrients?
- 8Why is it important to have a consultation to improve peak performance?
- 9What Micronutrients are needed for peak performance: vitamins, minerals, anti oxidants and amino-acids.
- 10How do the infusions help protect against cumulative damage that occurs from years of hard training?
- 11How does one enhance Athletic Performance with Intravenous Therapy?
- 12What strain does competitive sport place on the body?
- 13How does one get started?
- 14What additional sport specific supplements will also be prescribed?
- 15Why do we use PPC (Phosphatidylcholine) in our Athlete's Performance infusions?
- 16What are additional benefits of intravenous PPC?
- 17Why Is IV Glutathione included in all our IV infusions at Health Renewal?
- 18What has research on Glutathione revealed?
- 19What happens during detoxification in the liver?
- 20What important criteria does the clinic administering the infusions have to have?
- 21What latest article from Medscape explains what can happen when clinics offering IV infusions use a non sterile lab to manufacture their INTRAVENOUS / injectable vitamins, minerals and anti oxidants?
- Boost performance and increase strength and stamina;
- Reduce fatigue and shorten recovery time from a strenuous athletic event or competition;
- Replace nutrients which are essential for optimal metabolism and energy;
- Prevent common illnesses and injuries which athletes are prone to;
- Maintain a high level of performance over their lifespan, and
- Prevent chronic degenerative diseases that are endemic to aging adults.
You are finishing a really hard workout and the predominant thought in your mind is “man, I am going to relax for a good, long time”. So once the workout’s done, that’s exactly what you do. We know that we have all done this to ourselves far too often.
The problem with the above scenario is that you’re not giving your body a fighting chance to recover quickly and efficiently. We've all heard about that “window of opportunity” that’s present immediately after a workout, the time the athlete needs to take advantage of to help the body in “refueling the tank”. Your body will adapt to the training you’re putting it through by storing more and more glycogen, its premium fuel, in the muscles. This adaptation process is like the body saying, “If Steve’s going to put me through another workout tomorrow, I’m going to be better prepared. I’m going to have a better reservoir of readily available fuel”.
Unfortunately, once you’ve finished training, you’re still not finished with training! How well you recover today will be a huge factor in how well you perform tomorrow. Exercise creates physiological stress; you become weak and depleted after a good workout. It is during recovery that your body rebuilds itself. Your body responds to the stress of training by increasing its stress adaptation, commonly called “fitness,” but only when you have all recovery components in place.
Make the most of the “window of opportunity” that is present immediately after a workout. The important period that the athlete needs to take full advantage of in “refueling the tank".
IV infusions are at the core of the athlete maximizing absorption. Direct access to Intra Venous support mechanisms using the best formulation done by EU STANDARDS is for every athlete.
This Athlete Performance infusion and supplements are for every elite athlete as they:
- Boost performance and increase strength and stamina
- Allow one to work out longer and harder;
- Reduce fatigue and shorten recovery time after strenuous athletic activity;
- Optimize the ATP Cycle by replacing essential nutrients for metabolism and energy;
- Fight free radicals for optimal physical conditioning, promoting muscle function;
- Allow one to stay healthy in hard training and to set a new personal best; and
- Strengthen the immune system especially during times of Physiological stress resulting from endurance exercise.
Athletes who attend to the recovery process as much as they do to active training are way ahead of the game and will no doubt enjoy increased performance.
Athletic performance improvement depends on successive, incremental exercise sessions that stimulate muscular and cardiovascular adaptation followed by a recovery period in which the body rebuilds itself slightly more fit than before. Your body responds to the stress of training by increasing its stress adaptation, commonly called “fitness,” but only when you have all recovery components in place. It is during recovery that your body rebuilds itself. How well you recover today will greatly determine your performance tomorrow.
Intravenous therapies are incredibly effective and powerful because they replace lost and deficient nutrients quickly and directly into the bloodstream, restoring normal electrolyte and nutrition balance, bypassing any internal absorption issues.
These micronutrients are not on the list of banned substances in sport and include:
- Water to rehydrate fluid loss through sweating and
- Water-soluble B-vitamins which are lost through strenuous exercise are needed in the Krebs' cycle to make ATP (energy) enhancing stamina and performance.
- Magnesium and other minerals will minimize muscle cramping and fatigue and will effectively enhance the function of the muscular and nervous systems.
- Iron, Manganese, Cobalt, Selenium, Copper and Iodine are found in much smaller quantities and play essential roles as catalysts in cellular chemical processes.
- Zinc assists with protein synthesis and helps with wound and muscle healing.
- Selenium supports the immune system and protects red blood cells and cell membranes.
- PPC (phosphatidyl Choline) IV treatment is able to restore the health of the cell. PPC has the capability to help regenerate glutathione, the master antioxidant within the body.
- Glutathione both increases stamina and delays fatigue during strenuous, prolonged exercise in endurance-trained individuals.
- Glutathione is essential during the liver detoxification process to assure both Phase I and Phase II are working properly. IV Glutathione will guarantee these two vital detox steps
- Maintain a high level of performance over their athletic lifespans,
- Prevent common illnesses and injuries which they are prone to, and
- Prevent chronic degenerative disease.
At Body & Health Renewal we are pro actively involved in furthering and implementing the availability of the newest technologies and information to sports people.
Athletic performance improvement depends on successive, incremental exercise sessions that stimulate muscular and cardiovascular adaptation followed by a recovery period in which the body rebuilds itself slightly more fit than before. Thus, the real gain of exercise occurs during recovery, but only in the presence of adequate rest and optimal nutritional support. Therefore, how well you recover today will greatly determine your performance tomorrow. A comprehensive recovery program will address all the nutritional categories described above, in addition to rest, stretching, and the other physical modalities. Athletes who attend to the recovery process as much as they do to active training are way ahead of the game and will no doubt enjoy increased performance.
Repeated, incremental sessions of exercise and properly supported recovery result in increased performance ability and improved overall health. Exercise that is either overdone or under supported by a lack of proper recovery yields negative results, such as injury, chronic fatigue, soreness, overuse syndrome, poor health, and the like. You must attend as much to recovery as you do to active exercise if you expect to reap the benefits of hard training.
Recovery includes many factors, including rest, stretching, muscle stimulation, and sleep, but we will limit our present discussion to the nutritional aspects. This article will cover the four essential nutritional areas of recovery: the two macronutrients, carbohydrates and protein; the micronutrients, which include vitamins, minerals, and other ancillaries such as antioxidants; and rehydration.
Another area that is necessary to remember is in regards to immunity. One of the benefits, perhaps the primary benefit, of exercise is that it aids in building a strong immune system. However, in order to take advantage of this benefit, the athlete needs to provide nutrient support to the body right after a workout, when the immune system is vulnerable. It makes sense to replenish essential, immune system enhancing nutrients shortly after a workout, when the body’s supplies have been depleted or exhausted. Unfortunately, far too many athletes don’t and wonder why they continue to have poor performances or, even worse, continue to get sick.
After the importance of rehydration, carbs, and protein, we will consider the fourth group essential to recovery. We call these the micronutrients, because we need them in very small amounts. Unlike liters of water and hundreds of grams of carbs and up to a hundred grams or more a day of protein, these nutrients function at milligram and sometimes microgram quantities. We can’t in any reasonable time cover all of these individually and discuss their roles in recovery, but we will mention a few key nutrients in this group, and make one general observation. That observation is worth emphasizing, because it’s somewhat counter-intuitive. It has to do with when to take a good multivitamin.
Some athletes might think this way: “I’m setting out on a workout that will involve several hours of intense energy output. It makes sense that I have enough vitamins on board before I start, lest I become depleted and crash, so I’ll take my vitamin supplement before I train.” That reasoning is not quite valid because of the way your body processes nutrients. True, you do need an ample supply of vitamins and minerals to undertake endurance athletics. However, except for electrolytes and vitamin B-6, there’s not much you can add of any useful nature just before a workout. The time to supply your body is actually after workout, not just before. Your body is most receptive when it’s depleted. Then it runs on the stored nutrients. This is a generality, but it’s very true for most vitamins and minerals. The time to take vitamins is after, not before, a workout or race. You need to resupply, and you also need many micronutrients for the recovery process.
Remember also, that you lose many vitamins and minerals not only through the process of energy production, but also in your sweat. Therefore, you need to have a good multivitamin in your arsenal, one that contains ample amounts of all the key nutrients in readily bioavailable form.The Athlete Peak Performance Cocktail infusion of essential micronutrients is formulated specifically for endurance athletes; it is your best bet to insure that you get all of what you need to promote the many physiological facets of recovery.
Antioxidants are another group of micronutrients desperately needed post-workout. Some vitamins (notably C & E) have antioxidant benefits, and other nutrients, offer many further antioxidant benefits. You need a wide spectrum of antioxidants because prolonged exercise produces many different types of free radicals. Each antioxidant has an affinity for different target free radicals. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that any one antioxidant, example Glutathione, will protect you from all the ravages of free-radical production.
A final group of micronutrients includes a variety of biologically active compounds that promote the recovery process. Nutrients in this category include carnosine, glutamine, and glutathione.
During competitive years, the athlete who is not taking sufficient supplements has an increased risk of getting sick, becoming injured and not adapting to their training as quickly. Athletes place high demands on their bodies, by taking sufficient supplements, one can maintain a high level of performance over their lifespan.
In addition, cumulative damage to the body from years of hard training catches up faster to the athletes with poor nutritional habits. Benefits of a good supplementation and nutritional program for athletes will also be evident years after their competitive days are over. Those who have received optimal nutrients, will have much lower risks of developing chronic degenerative diseases that are endemic to aging adults.
Competitive athletes push their bodies to the limit, consuming large amounts of vital nutrients as a normal part of metabolism. Metabolism converts carbohydrates, fats, and proteins found in food into energy through a complex series of chemical reactions. These reactions are catalyzed by enzymes.
Metabolic enzymes require vitamin and mineral cofactors. These include:
- Vitamin C,
- Magnesium and
A NEW Protocol for performance enhancing at Health Renewal include 4 separate pushes of PPC, Glutathione, Vitamins and minerals.
- High intensity athletes who lack proper vitamin levels have reduced intensity for workouts and compromised recovery. That is a fact. Workouts will suffer, fatigue will crush your spirit. Extra vitamins may not boost your performance, but a shortage will destroy your performance capacity.
- During competitive years, the athlete who is not taking sufficient supplements has an increased risk of getting sick, becoming injured and not adapting to their training as quickly.
- Athletes place high demands on their bodies, by taking sufficient supplements, one can maintain a high level of performance over their lifespan.
- Benefits of a good supplementation and nutritional program for athletes will also be evident years after their competitive days are over. Those who have received optimal nutrients, will have much lower risks of developing chronic degenerative diseases that are endemic to aging adults.
An initial consultation with the Integrative practitioner at Health Renewal is mandatory and will be approximately 40 minutes. The cost of the initial diagnostic IV consultation is R650. Thereafter, your Health Renewal practitioner will begin working on a unique prescription plan which will include an appropriate IV infusion therapy or an IV "push". The cost of the individual IV infusions will depend on the amount and type of ingredients required to give your body the support it needs.
Your practitioner may also prescribe additional sport specific nutraceutical supplements which are safe under all testing agencies such as:
- MIC- Subcutaneous injections of amino-acids may be prescribed to complement the IV. Methionine, Inositol, Choline aid recovery and performance and prevent and treat injuries and inflammation.
- Supplements containing Cordyceps Sinensis and additional adaptogens that supply critical aspects for the endurance athlete to: fight fatigue, the demon that every elite athlete suffers; Optimize the ATP Cycle; Enhance Oxygen utilization; facilitate recovery from exhaustion faster.
- Supplements that will boost your immune system during times of physiological stress that results from endurance training. These complex polysaccharide nutrients keep killer immune cells ready and primed to help you breeze through the year.
- A Whole Food dietary supplement which contains all of the essential amino-acids, all three branched chain amino-acids BCAAs and Omega 3 and 6 and bio active compounds which are all essential for peak performance.
PPC (Phosphatidyl Choline) is a naturally occurring component of every cell membrane within your body. It is responsible for giving the cell shape and for cellular communication.
The outside of every cell contains a phospholipid bilayer, important for the structural integrity of the cell. Because toxins like to attach themselves to fats in the body, they are also able to attach to the outside of the cell, therefore disrupting the normal program this cell carries out. Treatment with phosphatidylcholine may be able to restore the health of the cell. Similar to alpha-lipoic acid, phosphatidylcholine is its ability to help regenerate glutathione, the master antioxidant, within the body.
- Phosphatidy Choline is also an important source of choline which is the precursor to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
- Acetylcholine is also an excitatory neurotransmitter affecting energy levels. People suffering from fatigue benefit from IV phosphatidylcholine.
PPC (Phosphatidyl Choline) is the buiding block of liver cells and it plays and important role in the transport and metabolism of fats. As a result it aides in the metabolism of cholesterol, lowering levels of cholesterol and homocysteine. Regular phosphatidylcholine IV therapies will help with lipid composition in the organs and tissues. Amazingly, it has the ability to decrease plaque deposits within the arterial walls.
Acetylcholine is important for proper brain, nerve and muscle function. Low levels of acetylcholine are associated with mental health disorders (bipolar, depression, schizophrenia & alzheimer’s disease.
Research has shown using IV phosphatidylcholine is effective in treating neurotoxicity. Neurotoxicity may occur from toxic burden on the body due to environmental overload. Symptoms of neurotoxicity include fatigue, memory problems, poor concentration, confusion, headaches, dizziness, balance issues and numbness in the hands and feet.
These essential anti-oxidants fight free radicals for optimal physical conditioning, promoting muscle function and speeding recovery. The use of intravenous glutathione for this purpose is based on recent studies showing that administering IV N-acetylcysteine - NAC which is a precursor to glutathione-both increases stamina and delays fatigue during strenuous, prolonged exercise in endurance-trained individuals. The logical conclusion is that by giving IV glutathione, we should be able to get a better and more direct result.
Most anti-oxidants are known for their ability to destroy cell damaging free radicals but because glutathione is present within the cells it holds a tactical advantage over other types of anti-oxidants and it is even helpful in boosting the immune system for this very reason.
Glutathione is available in foods such as fruits, fresh vegetables and even meats, but when on a calorie restricted diet or intense workout regimen or even drinking alcohol people may find themselves with lower levels of glutathione. Supplements are available that contain this anti-oxidant but it is poorly digested. An effective option is glutathione shots or IV infusions.
Research has proven that glutathione has the ability to help fight off most diseases and conditions. Of particular interest is the ability to fight off free radical damage which is one of the leading causes of ailments that are associated with growing older.
Glutathione is known as the Master Antioxidant, yet many people have never heard of glutathione. Our body has the natural ability to make it's own glutathione, however many people are not able to generate enough. Poor diet, environmental toxins, medications, stress, trauma, aging and infections decrease glutathione levels. In addition, it is widely known that the majority of individuals with chronic issues also have glutathione deficiency. Glutathione is produced naturally in every cell of our body; liver glutathione synthesis has been shown to be most important. It is composed of three amino acids – cystine, glycine and glutamine. Supplementing with oral glutathione is highly discouraged as it breaks down to its component amino acids before any relevant bioactivity.
Antioxidants protect the body from oxidative stress and the accumulation of free radicals. Free radical damage is the root cause of numerous diseases and age related illness. Glutathione is known as the Master Antioxidant because it targets free radicals and neutralizes their damage. Low levels of glutathione are linked to diseases such as Parkinson’s Disease, Cancer, Atherosclerosis and Alzheimer’s. Therefore, increased levels of glutathione protect us from disease.
Other uses for the anti-oxidant range from hang over remedy to post workout recovery to fighting off the common cold.When it comes to curing what ails you there is no more powerful anti oxidant than glutathione. Health Renewal offers a glutathione infusion to provide rapid availability in the blood stream.
The detoxification process is completed via the Phase I and Phase II systems.
- During Phase I, the supergene family of enzymes collectively known as Cytochrome P 450 offers up the first defense. In this preliminary phase, a P 450 (or other enzyme) uses oxygen and NADH to add a hydroxyl radical to the toxin. If these new reactive molecules are not subject to further Phase II action, they may damage RNA, DNA and other proteins in the cell. Phase II conjugation follows Phase I activation.
- In Phase II, a xenobiotic has been transformed into a water-soluble compound to be excreted through urine or bile. It is during this Phase II that glutathione goes to work. Glutathione works directly on the free radicals produced during Phase I. However, glutathione is used up during this process and must itself be recycled, making Phase II glutathione dependent. IV glutathione treatment is essential during the detoxification process to assure both Phase I and Phase II are working properly.
To read more about IV therapy as well as how to go about booking a consultation- read our About IV Infusions page.
At Health Renewal our IV Solutions are:
- Made in a STERILE and registered lab
- Not contaminated with unwanted "floaters", and
- Do NOT cause any unwanted side effects
- All infusions are done by our registered nurses or doctors
- An ACLS certified Doctor is always present in the clinic when infusions are being done
- Our infusion doctors all have ACLS certification (acute cardiac life support certification) and are well prepared should any unwanted effects occur.
- A doctor or an experienced registered nurse perform the infusions
- Our registered nurses all have BLS (Basic Life Support) training.
- We have emergency equipment such as AED, emergency drugs etc present in the infusion ward
- Strict adherence to sterile protocols are adhered to.
Using non sterile labs for injections and infusions:
"Two pharmacists at the notorious New England Compounding Center have been charged with second-degree murder in the deaths of 25 individuals who received non-sterile steroid pain injections in 2012 and 2013, according to a criminal indictment unsealed today in a federal district court in Boston, Massachusetts.
The pain medicine in question — preservative-free methylprednisolone acetate — harbored fungal meningitis.
The two pharmacists, New England Compounding Center co-owner Barry Cadden and supervisory pharmacist Glenn Chin, along with 12 others named in the 131-count indictment, "knew they were producing their medications in an unsafe manner and in unsanitary conditions, and authorized it to be shipped out anyway, with fatal results," said US Attorney General Eric Holder in a news release.
All told, 751 patients in 20 states were infected with fungal meningitis after receiving methylprednisolone acetate shots produced by the now-defunct compounding pharmacy in Framingham, Massachusetts, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sixty-four of those patients died. In response, the US Food and Drug Administration has conducted more than 175 inspections of compounding facilities during the last 2 years to prevent similar outbreaks.
The 14 defendants in the federal case, who include a total of 8 pharmacists and two pharmacy technicians, are accused of introducing misbranded drugs into interstate commerce and other crimes, in addition to the murder charges facing Cadden and Chin.
The second-degree murder charges are framed as racketeering acts, according to the Department of Justice. Prosecutors generally do not need to prove that someone charged with second-degree murder specifically intended to kill someone, only that he or she acted with extreme indifference to human life, the Department of Justice stated.
The indictment holds Cadden, Chin, and others responsible for, among other things:
- Using expired and expiring ingredients to compound the steroid injections and falsifying expiration dates on documents;
- Autoclaving drugs for less than the 20 minutes needed for sterilization;
- Failing to properly test drugs for sterility;
- Failing to recall tainted drugs when microbial growth was later detected;
- Falsifying drug labels to conceal how expired or untested drug solution lots were mixed with other lots, and
- Failing to properly clean and disinfect the "clean rooms" where the steroid injections were manufactured. Cleaning logs were falsified to state otherwise, said prosecutors.
Cadden and several other defendants also are charged with pretending to dispense drugs on the basis of patient-specific prescriptions — what Massachusetts law requires of a pharmacy — when they actually were functioning as a drug manufacturer, distributing their product in bulk to customers. Fake prescriptions often bore the names of celebrities and fictional characters, such as Chris Rock, Wonder Woman, Bill Clinton, Harry Potter, and Jennifer Lopez.
If convicted on all counts, Cadden and Chin could be sentenced to life in prison, according to the Department of Justice. Stephen Weymouth, an attorney for Chin, said his client will plead not guilty.
"I am shocked almost beyond words that they brought back an indictment against him...that includes second-degree murder," Weymouth told Medscape Medical News. "It's just overreach on the part of the government. We fully intend to defend this case."
Bruce Singal, Cadden's attorney, said in a statement issued to Medscape Medical News that the fungal meningitis outbreak caused by the New England Compounding Center drugs was a "terrible human tragedy." However, "not every accident, and not every tragedy, are caused by criminal conduct."
"The US Attorney's Office should not indict people over the tragic consequences of noncriminal behavior," said Singal. "And it should not wage a public relations campaign to vilify citizens who have been found guilty of nothing.""
This treatment has not yet been reviewed. To review this treatment click here