Body Renewal Tip
At Body Renewal we pride ourselves on visible results and encourage the use of transdermal mesotherapy in most of our treatments and facials. As an aesthetic clinic we offer anti ageing treatment options of microdermabrasion and transdermal mesotherapy with Hyaluronic acid with growth factors and problem specific additives as an addition to all our facials to ensure amazing results. See Anti Ageing combination choices below:
If you feel that your skin requires more intensive treatments please schedule an appointment with the aesthetic doctor to determine which medical aesthetic treatment should be prescribed for your client.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1What is Microdermabrasion?
- 2When should one start Microdermabrasion?
- 3Who would benefit from a microdermabrasion procedure?
- 4What preparation of the skin is needed prior to an exfoliation procedure?
- 5What results can be expected after a course of Microdermabrasion treatments?
- 6What can one expect after a microdermabrasion procedure?
- 7Can microdermabrasion be combined with other treatments?
- 8Can all skin types be safely treated with a microdermabrasion?
- 9Is Microdermabrasion available at all Body Renewal branches?
Microdermabrasion is a quick, no downtime procedure that renews the skin by lifting dead cells off the surface of your skin by gently polishing it with crystals. With a series of microdermabrasion procedures you can quickly achieve substantial improvement in the appearance of superficial lines and uneven pigmentation, while making your skin look and feel softer, smoother, and more radiant. Acne scars and enlarged pores may become less noticeable, and acne breakouts may be reduced. At Body Renewal we use the Mattioli Crystal or similar Medical Microdermabrasion devices which are able to perform a much stronger exfoliation which can, up to a point, improve the appearance of stretch marks and deeper wrinkles.
- After your initial consultation, you will be given a pigment lightening/inhibiting product which must be applied daily for ten to fourteen days before the exfoliation process can begin. This down regulates the enzyme that produces melanin and will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation PIH that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
- The skin is continually undergoing natural exfoliation. As one ages the epidermal cell turnover slows down and one's skin becomes dull because the topmost layer consisting of dead cells becomes too thick.
- This dead layer can retard and stress the skin causing whiteheads, blackheads, rough texture and uneven appearance of the skin tone.
- If one regularly exfoliates with microdermabrasion, new healthy skin cell are exposed to nutrients from the air, water and daily topical skin products.
- These nutrients are then transported to the deeper skin cells where they are needed, improving circulation, hydration and general skin nutrition.
- Potential benefits of exfoliation include fresher, brighter looking skin and better penetration of active ingredients of skin care products.
- The need for invasive major facelifts will be much less because the current generation of savvy 20- , 30- and 40 - year-olds have all the preventative tools available to them such as microdermabrasion and will not allow their faces to get to the stage that today's 50- and 60-year-olds have.
- Many skin problems are associated with excessive build up of dead cells making the skin hardened and dull. Problems are exacerbated by exposure to the sun, pollution, and other environmental effects, leading to skin damage and disease.
- Mild exfoliation treatments like microdermabrasion are usually suitable for all skin types including those patients with acne or sensitive skin.
- All skin types can be treated
- All age groups even the very young can be treated
- All areas of the body can be treated
- Patients with hormonal pigmentation problems such as Melasma (although as a stand-alone treatment, microdermabrasion will not have very significant results, and will thus have to be combined with other treatment modalities to affect a significant improvement).
- Individuals who have sunspots, sun-damaged skin, dry, ageing skin, oily skin with enlarged pores and acne scarring are also good candidates.
- Please note: The results of Microdermabrasion on scarring will depend on the depth and severity of the scarring. Severe scarring requires the inclusion of other treatment modalities such as the Dermaroller or Dermapen and/or Laser.
After your initial consultation, you will be given a Brightening cream (or a pigmentation inhibiting cream or serum) which must be applied to the entire face daily for ten to 14 days before the peeling process can begin. This down regulates 6 enzyme pathways that produces melanin and will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation PIH that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
- Fine lines and wrinkles become less apparent;
- Skin tone evens out;
- Texture becomes more refined;
- Oily or acne prone skin is improved;
- Enlarged pores appear smaller;
- Superficial scars appear reduced;
- Skin appears healthier and more youthful; and
- Pigmentation can be reduced in all skin types.
- Usually the skin is normal immediately after a mild microdermabrasion procedure and makeup may be applied after your session.
- Microdermabrasion may be repeated at two week intervals for a series of 6 treatments until the desired clinical effect is achieved.
- With each additional treatment, you should see incremental gains in the overall appearance of the skin.
- Your skin usually feels tighter and smoother.
- You will care for your skin by using a mild non-abrasive cleanser or other mild products for five days
- as well as protecting your new skin with adequate sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as an active ingredient.
- In addition, it is best to avoid prolonged sun exposure.
- Continued use of your pigmentation inhibiting topical products is essential
Microdermabrasion can be performed alone or in combination with the numerous other treatments we offer at Body Renewal. Microdermabrasion is part of our signature treatment 3 D Skin Rejuvenation™. For maximal benefit, 6 in-office professional microdermabrasion procedures every 2 - 4 weeks should be teamed with an anti-ageing optional extra or laser treatments to create an environment in which the skin is continuously rejuvenated.
At Body Renewal we pride ourselves on visible results. As an aesthetic clinic we offer anti-ageing treatments and problem specific additives as an addition to our microdermabrasion to ensure amazing results. If you feel that your skin requires more intensive treatments please schedule an appointment with the aesthetic doctor to determine which medical aesthetic treatment should be prescribed.
Anti-Ageing and problem specific optional extras after a microdermabrasion procedure are for:
- Acne therapies using TCA overlays
- Anti Ageing using Growth Factors with transdermal Mesotherapy
- Anti oxidant using Transdermal Vit C
- Hydrating using transdermal mesotherapy with Hyaluronic Acid
- Hormonal Pigmentation using TCA overlays
- PDT with a combination of various serums specifically chosen for the client’s concerns
- Laser therapies such as Titan and/or Limelight
- Carboxytherapy for skin tightening or general rejuvenation
Yes, Microdermabrasion safely treats all skin types without significant pain or down-time. It can improve acne, stretch marks, pigmentation, texture, pores and surface irregularities in only 6 treatment sessions two to four weeks apart.
Microdermabrasion is available in Johannesburg at the Morningside, Parkhurst, Bedfordview,Fourways and Illovo clinics. In Pretoria at Irene and Brooklyn as well as in the Western Cape at Cape Quarter, Claremont, Constantia, Somerset West, Stellenbosch and Willowbridge branches and KwaZulu Natal in Hillcrest and Umhlanga.
This treatment has not yet been reviewed. To review this treatment click here