What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a quick, no downtime procedures that renews the skin by lifting dead cells off the surface of your skin with a gentle polishing with crystals. With a series of microdermabrasion procedures you can quickly achieve substantial improvement in the appearance of superficial lines and uneven pigmentation, while making your skin look and feel softer, smoother, and more radiant. Acne scars and enlarged pores may become less noticeable, and acne breakouts may be reduced. At Body Renewal we use the Mattioli Crystal or Medical Microdermabrasion device which is able to perform a much stronger exfoliation which can treat stretch marks and deeper wrinkles.
When should one start Microdermabrasion?
- After your initial consultation, you will be given a pigment lightening gel which must be applied daily for ten days before the exfoliation process can begin. This down regulates the enzyme that produces melanin and will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory pigmentation PIH that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
- The skin is continually undergoing natural exfoliation. As one ages the epidermal cell turnover slows down and one's skin becomes dull because the topmost layer consisting of dead cells becomes too thick.
- This dead layer can challenge the skin causing whiteheads, blackheads, rough texture and uneven appearance of the skin tone.
- If one exfoliates with microdermabrasion regularly, new healthy skin cell are exposed to nutrients from the air, water and daily skin products.
- These nutrients are then transported to the deeper skin cells where they are needed, improving circulation.
- Potential benefits of exfoliation include fresher, brighter looking skin and better penetration of active ingredients of skin care products.
- The need for invasive major facelifts will be much less because the current generation of savvy 20- , 30- and 40 - year-olds have all the preventative tools available to them such as microdermabrasion and will not allow their faces to get to the stage that today's 50- and 60-year-olds have
Who would benefit from a microdermabrasion procedure?
- Many skin problems are associated with excessive build up of dead cells making the skin hardened and dull. Problems are exacerbated by exposure to the sun, pollution, and other environmental effects, leading to skin damage and disease.
- Mild exfoliation treatments like microdermabrasion are usually suitable for all skin types including those patients with acne or sensitive skin.
- All skin types can be treated
- All age groups even the very young can be treated
- All areas of the body can be treated
- Patients with hormonal pigmentation problems such as melasma
- Individuals who have sunspots, sun-damaged skin, dry, ageing skin, oily skin with enlarged pores and acne scarring are also good candidates.
What preparation of the skin is needed prior to an exfoliation procedure?
After your initial consultation, you will be given a Brightening cream such as Luminesce which must be applied to the entire face daily for ten to 14 days before the peeling process can begin. This down regulates 6 enzyme pathways that produces melanin and will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory pigmentation PIH that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
Properties and benefits of Luminesce:
- This wider inhibitory effect is an industry first, positioning the Luminesce range as one of the most innovative.
- Lamelle uses groundbreaking peptide technology (Oligopeptide 34) for treating pigmentation and has recently added 3 new peptides to the program which offers excellent results in combating epidermal age spots and post inflammatory hyper- pigmentation ( PIH).
- An added benefit is that the combination of peptides used in the range offers anti-ageing benefits to the skin as they stimulate collagen producing cells.
- Luminesce used twice daily for 8 weeks will reduce the appearance of age spots and is safe for use on all skin types unlike traditional skin lightening cosmeceutical products as well as prescription medications
- These traditional products try combating age spots with disappointing results or worse - cause hypersensitive skin, which in turn aggravates the pigmentation
What results can be expected after Microdermabrasion?
- Fine lines and wrinkles become less apparent
- Skin tone evens out
- Texture becomes more refined
- Oily or acne prone skin is improved
- Enlarged pores appear smaller
- Superficial scars appear reduced
- Skin appears healthier and more youthful
- Pigmentation is reduced in all skin types
What to Expect after a microdermabrasion procedure?
- Usually the skin is normal immediately after a mild microdermabrasion procedure and makeup may be applied after your session.
- Microdermabrasion may be repeated at one to two week intervals for a series of 6 treatments until the desired clinical effect is achieved.
- With each additional treatment, you should see incremental gains in the overall appearance of the skin.
- Your skin usually feels tighter and smoother.
- You will care for your skin by using a mild non-abrasive cleanser or other mild products for five days
- as well as protecting your new skin with adequate sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as an active ingredient.
- In addition, it is best to avoid prolonged sun exposure.
Can microdermabrasion be combined with other treatments?
Microdermabrasion can be performed alone or in combination with the numerous other treatments we offer at Body Renewal Microdermabrasion is part of our signature treatment 3 D Skin Rejuvenation™. For maximal benefit, 4 to 6 in-office professional microdermabrasion procedures every 2 - 4 weeks should be teamed with an anti ageing optional extra or laser treatments to create an environment in which the skin is continuously rejuvenated.
At Body Renewal we pride ourselves on visible results. As an aesthetic clinic we offer anti ageing treatments and problem specific additives as an addition to our microdermabrasion to ensure amazing results. If you feel that your skin requires more intensive treatments please schedule an appointment with the aesthetic doctor to determine which medical aesthetic treatment should be prescribed.
Anti Ageing and problem specific optional extras after a microdermabrasion procedure are for:
- Acne therapies using TCA overlays
- Anti Ageing using Growth Factors transdermal Mesotherapy
- Anti oxidant using Transdermal Vit C
- Firming using transdermal DMAE, LIPOIC ACID and Silicium.
- Hydrating using transdermal mesotherapy with Hyaluronic Acid
- Hormonal Pigmentation using TCA overlays
- Sensitive Skin therapies using transdermal Danne Betagel serum
Can all skin types be safely treated with a microdermabrasion?
Yes, Microdermabrasion safely treats all skin types without significant pain or down-time. It can improve acne, stretch marks, pigmentation, texture, pores and surface irregularities in only 4 to 6 treatment sessions two to four weeks apart.
Body Renewal Tip:
Unfortunately "Perfect skin" has not been handed out by nature - it has to be bought and this usually comes at an expensive price. No matter how great your skin is at 25 , the inevitable age spots, pigmentation marks, red blemishes and sagging will slowly leave their marks on one's face by the time one reaches 35 .
Our signature anti ageing facial The Mesoglow facial is one of the most effective anti ageing facials available. It involves Mirodermabrasion, mesotherapy and plenty of pampering. It's a treatment facial, not a basic facial. This is a unique treatment that you will not experience at any other salon! For best results 4 treatments are done weekly in the first month and then a maintenance treatment once a month is recommended. It is also great for clients who have had the full 3 D program and who want maintenance facial in between their 3 D maintenance treatments.
At Body Renewal we pride ourselves on visible results and encourage the use of transdermal mesotherapy in most of our treatments and facials. As an aesthetic clinic we offer anti ageing treatment options of microdermabrasion and transdermal mesotherapy with Hyaluronic acid with growth factors and problem specific additives as an addition to all our facials to ensure amazing results. See Anti Ageing combination choices below:
If you feel that your skin requires more intensive treatments please schedule an appointment with the aesthetic doctor to determine which medical aesthetic treatment should be prescribed for your client.
History of Growth Factors and Dermaheal
The scientists who developed the technology to isolate epidermal growth factors won the Nobel prize for science In 1987, The problem with most growth factors is that they are too big to penetrate the skin and that they are degraded by the skins natural enzymes.
Scientists in Korea have taken 15 years to perfect the nanotechnology for skin acceptable growth factors and peptides and have patented this technology.
Well known product houses such as La Prairie and Dermalogica use these patented peptides for their anti ageing lines, but Lamelle from South Africa have the patent for the growth factors as used in the Dermaheal range.
The cost of the growth factors is one and a half million dollars per gram. We are fortunate that these products are manufactured under licence here in South Africa so we don't have to pay the surcharge of import duty which would make these products much more expensive. A product purchased in South Africa for R400 rand costs $300 overseas.
Growth Factors and peptides are present in the full Dermaheal range of Home products and serums; the Skin Rejuvenating and Hyaluronic acid serums used in the Mesoglow and Anti Ageing growth factor facials only offered at Body Renewal
At Body Renewal, with combination treatments every 2 weeks, in 3 months we can take almost any skin to the next level: luminous, smooth and tight