PDO embedded treading is a treatment that involves the use of PDO, polydioxanone, sutures that are injected into the hypodermis of the skin, providing a lifting and smoothing effect. The various thread lengths give the Skin & Body Renewal Doctor a wide range of treatment options, that dissolve in a natural manner over a course of months, whilst synthesizing new collagen production in the treated area. This treatment allows the skin to present smooth and bright, lifting sagging and crepey skin on various body areas, resulting in fewer wrinkles and lax skin thus improving the skin's overall texture and youthfulness.
The treatment is well tolerated by patients, and there is no need for anesthesia. The treatment was created in Korea, but it has been widely used in Europe, Russia and all over the world, and now the latest anti-ageing skin treatment is available in South Africa at Skin & Body Renewal clinics.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1At which Skin Renewal Clinics are the Threading treatments available?
- 2What is PDO threading?
- 3What is the "Pay as you Go Bodylift"?
- 4What is a Threadlift?
- 5How does the Threadlift work to build a scaffold of collagen?
- 6What are the benefits of embedded threading procedures?
- 7What are the aesthetic advantages / scientific rationale of the ThreadLift Bodylift?
- 8What are the non surgical advantages of a thread lift procedure?
- 9Is embedded threading a safe procedure?
- 10How do the threads dissolve?
- 11What can I expect during the treatment?
- 12What results can I expect after the treatment?
- 13Can threading be used in conjunction with other skin rejuvenating treatments?
- 14What are the main body areas that can be treated with threading?
- 15What is the cost of a threading treatment?
PDO threading is available at Body Renewal clinics in Gauteng, the Western Cape and KZN. The treatment is only done by our trained medical practitioners so patients would have to schedule an appointment to discuss the treatment plan and various options available.
The threading procedure involves using various lengths of thin acupuncture sterile needles to embed PDO dissolving threads deep underneath the surface of the skin. These wires are placed strategically into the dermis, where it acts as a frame for lifting and tightening loose and sagging skin. The material from which these threads are made, PDO (polydioxanone), is a safe substance that keeps the skin in its new tightened state for 4-6months, whilst also synthesizing new collagen production. The lasting result will provide the skin with a fresh, well rested and firmer look whilst supporting new collagen formation for long lasting results.
This treatment can be used on the face, but also in various areas of the body where the main objective is creating a lift, rather than restoring volume.
"Pay as you Go" Bodylift is literally a 5 to 50 minute procedure (depending on the amount of threads used) to lift sagging skin and to improve wrinkles, acne scars and crepey skin. The procedure involves the use of PDO (polydioxanone) sutures that are easily and painlessly injected into the hypodermis of the skin providing a lifting and smoothing effect on the skin. The various thread lengths give the Skin Renewal Doctor a wide range of treatment options to lift and tighten skin anywhere on the face and body and improve acne scars and wrinkles. The embedded threads synthesize long lasting collagen and elastin in the treated area. The threads dissolve in a natural manner over a course of 8 months but the rejuvenation and tightening effects of these threads last 2 to 3 years due to continual collagen stimulation. This threadlift procedure is also known as the "Pay as you go Bodylift " as the lifting threads can be inserted over a period of 3 to 6 months depending on the budget of the patient.
PDO Threadlift a non-surgical, no scar threadlift performed using tiny surgical threads that will reabsorb / dissolve over time but will have prolonged rejuvenation effects due to maximal collagen stimulation. Normal skin aging progresses with formation of fine lines and wrinkles by destroying elastic and collagen tissue in epidermis. By boosting cell regeneration with multi-strand threads,one can improve dermal elastin and collagen tissue. The treatment is used very successfully on the body in areas where the patient struggles with loose / lax skin (the longer threads will be use on the body).
This is a new lifting method of injecting multi-strand threads in order to boost cell attachment and rejuvenate aged & damaged skin. Multi-strand threads used in ThreadLift are made of material-synthetic absorbable sterile surgical suture composed of Polydioxanone, which performs a role as a scaffold / stimulus for new collagen cells to attach to and create a vector of collagen that will lift sagging tissue which will last for 2 to 3 years.
- A reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Younger looking skin, with fewer signs of ageing due to tightening of loose/lax skin
- Improve skin tone, texture, pigmentation, scarring and stretch mark appearance
- Long lasting results, due to new collagen synthesis
- No scars or visible cuts (as can be the result of a traditional facelift)
- Can be performed from the age of 30, or earlier for anti-ageing benefits
- Increased skin metabolism
- Optimization of texture
- Activation of the lymphatic circulation
- Increased circulation in surrounding areas
- Long lasting stimulation of the fascia and of the soft tissues
- Creation of collagen
- Normalization of collagen
- Remodeling of the silhouette
- Tissue elasticity and lifting
- Delayed cutaneous aging
- Skin brightness
- Lifting action: these mini threads are embedded in the layer known as the SMAS, in between the skin and the muscle, facilitating a lifting action on both skin and muscle. Precise implantation at the correct depth and at the appropriate points has an immediate lifting effect on the neck and lower part of the face, where the supporting tissue is weaker. The placement of the threads is based on the use of natural tension lines of the skin/ vectors , causing an effect similar to a surgical face lift.
- Smoothing effect: The use of shorter, thicker threads on the forehead relaxes the muscles, hindering their use and creating a lifting action similar to that produced by botulinum toxins.
- Increased circulation: These threads have a continual stimulation of blood supply to the treated area which results in continual collagen and elastin stimulation in the treated area. After a few days, the treated area looks healthier and brighter.
- Natural final effect: threads works by stimulating the action of the fibroblasts and the final effect is always natural. There is no risk of deformation or changes to the patient's features.
- Similar effect to Botulinum Toxin: the thread relaxes the muscles of facial expression, simulating the effect of botulinum toxin but with the advantage of a more natural look.
- Increased endogenous hyaluronic acid clinical studies have shown that where the thread is inserted, stimulation of endogenous HA occurs and the skin is better hydrated.
- Reduction of fat cells: An additional action on the fatty layers in the SMAS area of the skin, ( the mini threads are embedded in the layer known as the SMAS, in between the skin and the muscle ) helps mobilise adipose tissue, reducing the size of the face and defining features.
- No theatre or anaesthetic required: this procedure is carried out at the Doctor's surgery, with no hospitalization required and just a local anaesthetic.
- No rejection of sutures or significant side effects after the procedure, just mild swelling and possibly a bit of bruising. A simple and fast procedure.
- No mechanical traction with the threads as were needed with the older fixed sutures. There is no tieing or securing of sutures.
- No surgical procedure or facelift necessary to "fish out" unwanted, problematic sutures that was the case with previous non absorbable sutures. These sutures are totally resorbable.
- A non-aggressive procedure. No adverse reactions.
- No need for limited facial expressions for 10 days after the procedure as was the case with fixed sutures.
- There is a very high level of patient satisfaction as the final result is very natural
- These sutures will NOT SNAP with excessive movement of face such as smiling, laughing etc.
- No scarring: The speed of re absorption of the PDO thread, along with its small diameter, prevents risks of thin thickening and scarring which can happen with other biocompatible materials/ threads.
- These threads can be combined and / or supplemented with other cosmetic medical techniques such as Botulinum Toxin, fillers, mesotherapy etc.
This treatment has been used extensively in Europe and the East for many years, and is only recently available in South Africa. The methodology has been tried and tested and only qualified Medical Doctors are authorized to perform this treatment. This procedure is DE approved, FDA pending and there is no risk of granuloma formation.
The PDO (polydioxanone) substance the threads are made of is a material increasingly used in general surgery, vascular and cardiac surgery for various sutures. Thus, these threads are listed as a class IV medical device which is absolutely safe, fully absorbent and hypoallergenic. The sutures are also heavy metal free, non allergenic, doesn't trigger immunogenicity mechanisms, has no significant side effects, and inflammatory reaction is very low.
All needles are sterile packages and were recorded at the Italian Ministry of Health. Every product is labeled CE 1/93 and complies with legislative decree 92 / 42 EC which regulates medical devices.
The threads are resorbed by hydrolysis and this takes approximately 6 to 8 months to achieve.
The treatment is relatively pain free, due to the deep insertion of the needles and working in the dermis of the skin. Also, there is no down-time after the procedure, with bruising and swelling only being present in a few cases which may last a couple of days.
To alleviate any discomfort a topical anesthetist can be applied and massaged into the treated area, and the entire treatment takes between 15 - 45 minutes depending on the size of the treatment area.
The doctor will draw the insertion points with a white pencil over the treatment area, following the orientation and directions of gravity. The threading wires are then implanted into this designed supportive structure, without the need for anchors.
The PDO threading treatment gives an instant lifting result, with optimum results setting in after about 3 months. Due to the dissolvable nature of the threads they will last between 4-6 month, but the continued collagen synthesis will leave the new skin structure in place.
A top-up treatment is recommended annually, but your Body Renewal Doctor will assess and advise on the best treatment plan depending on your skin's needs and your objective.
Yes, the threading treatments work very well with other treatments such as:
- Botox & Filler, as part of a liquid facelift
- Chemical Peels
- Laser rejuvenating treatments
- Radiofrequency and tightening treatments (this has to be done before the threading treatment, or only four months after the threading treatment is completed).
- Any topical facial regime
- Tightening of the Abdomen (loose skin post pregnancy, or rapid weight loss)
- Batwing arms
- Ageing Hands
- Neck and Decolletage
- Sagging Buttocks
- Inner thighs
- Cauliflower Knees
The Threadlift treatments is priced on the amount of threads inserted. The amount of threads will depend on the area being treated and severity of the lift required. There are different kinds of threads for different problems eg;
Monofilament PDO threads are used for "Firming and Tightening" of saggy, crepey skin.
Barbed or Cog threads are used for "Lifting" of the jawline, neck, forehead and cheeks for a "threadlift facelift".
Prices start at R 750 per thread, depending on the length required and the type of thread eg Monofilament or Barbed threads.
It's is advisable to choose one of our thread packages to get better results for Lifting or Firming and Tightening.
At Skin Renewal we have the following PDO thread package prices:
For the Firming and Tightening packages, monofilament PDO threads are available in packages of 8 to 16 threads for a discounted price starting from R4400 for 8 threads.
For the Lifting/Facelift packages, PDO barbed or cog threads are available in packages of 4 to 16 threads for a discounted price starting from R8400 for 8 barbed threads.
It's best to have a consultation with one of our experienced Skin Renewal doctors to assess which threads are best suited for your anti aging concerns. Ask your doctor about our thread packages which start from R550 per thread.
This treatment has not yet been reviewed. To review this treatment click here