Frequently Asked Questions
A superficial TCA (Trichloracetic Acid) Peel is a quick, mild downtime procedure that renews the skin by lifting dead cells off the surface of your skin and stimulating metabolism of the cells underneath. With a series of TCA Peels you can quickly achieve substantial improvement in the appearance of superficial lines and uneven pigmentation, while making your skin look and feel softer, smoother, and more radiant. Acne scars and enlarged pores may become less noticeable, and acne breakouts may be reduced. At Skin Renewal we use Lamelle range of TCA peels.
Mild TCA Peels are usually suitable for all skin types including those patients with
- Acne or sensitive skin.
- Individuals who have sunspots, hormonal pigmentation, sun-damaged skin,
- dry, ageing skin,
- oily skin with enlarged pores and
- Acne scarring are also good candidates.
However all exfoliation treatments make your skin more sensitive to the sun thus a sunscreen of SPF# 30 should be used daily, and sun exposure avoided
After your initial consultation, you will be given a pigment lightening gel which must be applied to the entire face daily for ten days before the peeling process can begin. This down regulates the enzyme that produces melanin and will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory pigmentation PIH that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
- The skin is continually undergoing natural exfoliation.
- As one age, the epidermal cell turnover slows down and one's skin becomes dull because the topmost layer consisting of dead cells becomes too thick.
- This dead layer can challenge the skin causing whiteheads, blackheads, rough texture and uneven appearance of the skin tone.
- If one exfoliates regularly, new healthy skin cell are exposed to nutrients from the air, water and daily skin products.
- These nutrients are then transported to the deeper skin cells where they are needed, improving circulation.
- Potential benefits of exfoliation include fresher, brighter looking skin and better penetration of active ingredients of skin care products.
After your initial consultation, you will be given a pigment inhibiting product which must be applied to the entire face daily for ten to 14 days before the peeling process can begin. This down regulates 6 enzyme pathways that produces melanin and will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory pigmentation PIH that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
- Fine lines and wrinkles become less apparent
- Skin tone evens out
- Texture becomes more refined
- Oily or acne prone skin is improved
- Enlarged pores appear smaller
- Superficial scars appear reduced
- Skin appears healthier and more youthful
- Pigmentation is reduced in all skin types
A mild redness of the skin occurs following the procedure, followed by dark scaling that appears within three to five days and sloughs off after five to seven days. Mild peels such as the 10 to 15 % TCA may be repeated at four-week intervals until the desired clinical effect is achieved.
Yes, all skin types can be safely treated with a low strength of up to 10 % TCA Chemical Peel without significant pain or down-time. (Extreme caution is used with skin types V - VI even with the 10% formulation to avoid PIH formation) It can improve acne, pigmentation, texture, pores and surface irregularities in only 2 to 4 treatment sessions two to four weeks apart.
Stronger TCA formulations are used only on skin types I - IV.