Cellulite can be defined as a medical disorder observed as microscopic changes within the skin. These invisible changes manifest later after puberty as dimples. Cellulite is caused by skin that has deteriorated to a point that buoyant fat cells are able to push into the dermis, the middle layer of the skin, and show through the surface as unsightly lumps and bumps.
One plausible explanation - which also explains why very few men suffer from cellulite - is based on the composition and behavior of women's fat cells and the connective tissue that holds them in place. Very simply, a woman's connective tissue is very inflexible, so as females gain weight their fat cells expand, and tend to bulge upwards towards the surface of the skin, giving the classic orange-peel appearance of cellulite. In men, not only is there generally less fat on the thighs, but also the outer skin is thicker and thus obscures what is happening to any surplus fat below.
The causes of cellulite are poorly understood, and several changes in metabolism or physiology may cause cellulite or contribute to cellulite.
- Among these are a disorder of water metabolism, abnormal hyperpolymerization of the connective tissue and chronic venous insufficiency which at Body Renewal is treated with Carboxytherapy ( see below)
- Hormones play a dominant role in the formation of cellulite. Oestrogen is the most important hormone as it seems to initiate and aggravate cellulite. Other hormones including insulin, adrenaline, noradrenaline, thyroid hormone and prolactin have all been shown to participate in the development of cellulite.
- Several genetic factors have been shown to be necessary for cellulite to develop.
- Diet has been shown to affect the development and amount of cellulite. Excessive amounts of fat, carbohydrates, salt, or too little fiber can all contribute to an increased cellulite.
- Smoking, lack of exercise, fatty/starchy foods, and sitting or standing in a single position for long periods have all been correlated with an increase in cellulite.
- A highly stressed lifestyle will cause an increase in the catecholamine hormones such as adrenaline and noradrenaline which have been shown to participate in the development of cellulite.
- Within the last 40-50 years women went from loose underwear around the thighs to tight underwear going across the middle of the buttock. Underwear that has tight elastic across the buttock limits blood flow, encouraging cellulite to form. Wearing thongs, boy shorts, or sleeping naked can reduce the impact underwear plays on cellulite's development.
Classification of Cellulite:
No clinical symptoms, but there are anatomical changes seen under the microscope.
The skin shows paleness, lower temperature, and decreased elasticity after compression or muscular contraction. There is no visible "orange peel" roughness to the skin. Additional anatomical changes are detected by microscopic examination.
Visible "orange peel" roughness to the skin is visible at rest. This is the "canonical" grade of cellulite. Thin granulations in the deep levels of the skin can be detected by palpitation. All Grade 2 signs are present, with further anatomical changes are detectable under the microscope
All Grade 3 symptoms are present, with more visible, palpable, and painful lumps present which adhere to deep structures in the skin. The skin has a noticeable dimpled, wavy appearance. Additional microscopic changes are detected.
Collections of fat and layers of cellulite located in the most inconvenient locations can ruin your best efforts at looking good. They can dramatically affect how you feel about yourself and your appearance; especially when you head for the beach.
Cellulite is a progressive condition and if not treated can become a major stumbling block to self esteem and a healthy body. The best treatment is early intervention. Any treatment modality on its own can make a big difference, but in our eyes it's not sufficient. Cellulite has different forms and grades and thus success at combating cellulite needs a combination of treatments that include lymphatic drainage, reduction of fat cells, stretching of connective tissue and collagen stimulation.
At Body Renewal the following topical home therapies are recommended to improve the in office treatments:
- The success of Patricia Clarke Gel is due to the amazing formulated suspension of specially selected elements and plant extracts, which compliment each other and act in synergy to bring quick, successful centimeter loss. The gel contains 27 different plant extracts including Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, Ginseng, Seaweed, Horse chestnut, Fennel, Horse wrack, St John's wart, Cypress, Lemonine, Peppermint, to name a few. The gel also contains strengthening, diuretic, healing, firming and toning liposomes, and establishing properties which maintain the contours of the body helping avoid a spongy appearance.
- Body Renewal recommends the use of contouring pressure, i.e. Neoprene Stocking to improve cellulite results.
- Dermaroller Beauty Mouse for enhanced penetration of the Patricia Clarke gel.
At Body Renewal cellulite reducing supplements such as Zinsel, CLA are available to improve in Office treatments.
In Office treatments:
Body Renewal is excited to offer the next step in multi-modality therapy in treating cellulite. We call it the Bottom Line. By carefully combining the above internationally recognized techniques and cutting edge technologies; we have developed a combination of non-invasive cellulite therapies that is bringing lipo-cellulite therapy to a whole new level. A highly professional team led by a medical doctor assesses every patient and an appropriate combination treatment together with long term maintenance program is recommended. Our ultimate goal is to achieve consistent and successful results with minimal downtime and discomfort for our patients. Treatments start from R250 per treatment for Endermologie and Transdermal in office mesotherapy treatments
Body Renewal Tip:
More than 80% of women over the age of 20, regardless of their weight or size, are affected by cellulite and exercise resistant fat. Cellulite can dramatically affect how you feel about yourself and your appearance; especially at summertime when you head for the beach. Unfortunately a stunning "Hollywood" face and body has not been handed out by nature - it has to be bought and this usually comes at an expensive price. At Body Renewal we have recognized this problem and have come up with a solution to make it more affordable for the average person.
Cellulite packages include the affordable miracle gas of Carboxytherapy which:
- improves cellulite by improving the venous insufficiency which causes poor circulation and the build up of toxins
- improves varicose and spider veins as the problem of venous insufficiency is addressed
- treats localized fat deposits effectively ,
- tightens superficial skin with long term collagen stimulation
- improves difficult to treat stretch marks
Carboxytherapy is truly a revolutionary new non surgical treatment that can deliver dramatic results without surgery in a short space of time.