The world faces an obesity epidemic. Obesity is a chronic disease and it is estimated that at least 1.1 billion adults are overweight and that 312 million are obese. According to James et al, the prevalence of obesity has doubled or even risen threefold in less than two decades, while in children this is rising at an even faster rate.
How does being overweight or obese affect our health? Obesity is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes and some forms of cancer. Obese people are also at high risk for depression, job discrimination and other social problems. After tobacco use, obesity is the second-leading cause of preventable deaths. About six out of 10 South Africans are overweight or obese, and those numbers are rising. The number of children and teens who are overweight or obese is also expected to increase.
Overweight is classified as having a Body Mass Index (BMI) outside of the healthy range.
The BMI is currently the international standard for assessing weight.
BMI = Weight (kgs) ÷ Height ?(m) squared
- Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
- Overweight = 25-29.9 Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
- A BMI of less than 18.5 is considered underweight.
- A BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is considered healthy.
- A BMI of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight.
- A BMI of 30 or more is considered obese.
Reduce with Slender Wonder.
At Body Renewal we have recognized that before one even starts on any body shaping program it is important that one is close to their ideal weight or BMI (Body Mass Index) as possible. A visit tone of the medical doctors at Body Renewal will determine whether you are carrying excess weight.
In the human body we can distinguish three kinds of fat:
- Structural fat which cushions our organs and is vital for normal organ functioning and protection.
- Normal fat which acts as a reserve of fuel upon which the body can freely draw on.
- The third kind of fat is entirely abnormal. It is the accumulation of such fat from which the overweight patient suffers. Unfortunately this kind of fat is locked away and is not available to the body in a nutritional emergency.
Slender Wonder, a medical weight loss program, addresses this abnormal fat. Slender Wonder is a safe and effective weight loss program that has evolved over 35 years with tens of thousands of patients being treated successfully around South Africa.
The Slender Wonder program includes a low GL eating program with interesting menu suggestions that combined with lipotrophic supplements that help mobilize the abnormal fat which has accumulated over time. If the eating program is strictly adhered to, 400 grams of fat can be lost each day and thus the amount of days it takes to lose the abnormal fat can be calculated.
Patients lose between 8 and 12 kilograms a month, generally find it quite easy, and feel good with high energy levels. Many of the Slender Wonder patients have tried numerous other well known diets but find this to be the magic one that actually works. Follow up appointments are held every two weeks where a booster will be given and their weight checked. Any questions are answered and encouragement and support offered.
A highly professional team lead by a doctor assesses every patient You will be seen individually for a medical assessment and your weight and measurements will be taken as well as a Bodystat Machine assessment which will give you an indication of your body fat percentage, total body fat and water content, and your BMI as well as giving you the target values for your gender and height. You will then be invited into a group teaching session held by one of our doctors. The theory behind the diet and why it works will be explained, and you will be taken through the various phases of the program. An eating plan as well as some tips, interesting menus and pointers will be given, and you will be advised on how to handle difficult situations or manage times when you may be struggling.
Follow up appointments are held every two weeks where a booster will be given and your weight checked. Any questions will be answered and you will be offered encouragement and support. The beauty of this program is that you are not doing it alone...we are here to motivate you and help you reach your goals and we have seen how this program changes lives by helping one regain confidence.
You will be amazed at how easy you will find this program and how quickly it works. The first week is usually difficult but once the lipotrophic substance kicks in and unlocks the abnormal fat, one's appetite decreases as the system is flooded with unwanted fat.
Being motivated is easy when you feel great and full of energy, and even easier when you start receiving compliments from your friends and you fit into clothing you never thought you'd wear again. There is no rebound or regain of weight and our patients manage to maintain their weight loss long term by following a maintenance program.
Body Renewal Tip:
Once a certain weight loss is achieved, Body Renewal is excited to offer the next step in multi-modality therapy in treating exercise and diet resistant fat and cellulite. We call it the Bottom Line. Any treatment modality on its own can make a big difference, but in our eyes it's not sufficient. Resistant fat and cellulite have different forms and grades and thus success needs a combination of treatments that include lymphatic drainage, reduction of fat cells, stretching of connective tissue and collagen stimulation.
Reshape with In office Treatments:
At Body Renewal resistant fat is treated with the following modalities once you are in shape and within 6 kilograms of your ideal weight. The following body shaping treatments are well suited to treat the fat deposits which make the body disproportionate.
- Lipodissolve, also known as mesotherapy or injection lipolysis , is a well established European and Brazilian technique to treat fat and diminish localized fat deposits using a natural substance called Phosphatidylcholine (PPC).
- New is South Africa is VelaShape™, a 4 in 1 treatment that reduces circumference and fat dramatically. A new and more refined take on liposuction, Velashape™ has FDA approval for circumferential reduction and patients liken it to a warm massage.
- Carboxytherapy, the miracle gas, has been touted as the biggest beauty breakthrough since Botox, and forms an important component on any body shaping program. Therapy involves injecting tiny amounts of CO2 beneath the skin to break down fatty deposits, improve the appearance of cellulite, increase the microcirculation to the area and stimulate collagen production.
- Lipomassage™ is a new targeted Endermologie® which treats resistant fat with fewer treatments.
- Transdermal mesotherapy delivers active mesotherapy ingredients without the use of needles.