Cellulite can be defined as a medical disorder observed as microscopic changes within the skin. These invisible changes manifest later after puberty as dimples. Cellulite is caused by skin that has deteriorated to a point that buoyant fat cells are able to push into the dermis, the middle layer of the skin, and show through the surface as unsightly lumps and bumps.
One plausible explanation - which also explains why very few men suffer from cellulite - is based on the composition and behavior of women's fat cells and the connective tissue that holds them in place. Very simply, a woman's connective tissue is very inflexible, so as females gain weight their fat cells expand, and tend to bulge upwards towards the surface of the skin, giving the classic orange-peel appearance of cellulite. The bands of fat cells in females is also placed in vertical bands, making the dimples more obvious and unsightly. In men, not only is there generally less fat on the thighs, but also the outer skin is thicker and thus obscures what is happening to any surplus fat below. The placement of the cells is also in more diagonal patterns, thus making it quite hard to see visible dimples in the skin, unless the patient is severely overweight, and even then it is not as apparent and unsightly as in a female.
The causes of cellulite are poorly understood, and several changes in metabolism or physiology may cause cellulite or contribute to cellulite.
- Among these are a disorder of water metabolism, abnormal hyper-polymerization of the connective tissue and chronic venous insufficiency which at Body Renewal is treated with a combination of Carboxytherapy and various Radio Frequency treatments (see below).
- Hormones play a dominant role in the formation of cellulite. Oestrogen is the most important hormone as it seems to initiate and aggravate cellulite. Other hormones including insulin, adrenaline, noradrenaline, thyroid hormone and prolactin have all been shown to participate in the development of cellulite.
- Poor circulation or impaired blood circulation and lymphatic drainage have been shown to aggravate the production of cellulite.
- Diet has been shown to affect the development and amount of cellulite. Excessive amounts of fat, carbohydrates, salt, or too little fibre can all contribute to an increased production of cellulite.
- Smoking, lack of exercise, fatty/starchy foods, and sitting or standing in a single position for long periods have all been correlated with an increase in cellulite.
- A highly stressed lifestyle will cause an increase in the catecholamine hormones such as adrenaline and noradrenaline which have been shown to participate in the development of cellulite.
- Within the last 40-50 years women went from loose underwear around the thighs to tight underwear going across the middle of the buttock. Underwear that has tight elastic across the buttock limits blood flow, encouraging cellulite to form. Wearing thongs, boy shorts, or sleeping naked can reduce the impact underwear plays on cellulite's development.
Classification of Cellulite:
No clinical symptoms, but there are anatomical changes seen under the microscope.
In this case the patient cannot visibly see the cellulite with the naked eye.
The skin shows paleness, lower temperature, and decreased elasticity after compression or muscular contraction. There is no visible "orange peel" roughness to the skin. Additional anatomical changes are detected by microscopic examination.
Visible "orange peel" roughness to the skin is visible at rest. This is the "canonical" grade of cellulite. Thin granulations in the deep levels of the skin can be detected by palpitation. All Grade 2 signs are present, with further anatomical changes, detectable under the microscope
All Grade 3 symptoms are present, with more visible, palpable, and painful lumps present which adhere to deep structures in the skin. The skin has a noticeable dimpled, wavy appearance. Additional microscopic changes are detected. Grade 4 Cellulite is constantly visible to the patient (regardless of whether the patient is sitting, standing or lying down).
Collections of fat and layers of cellulite located in the most inconvenient locations can ruin your best efforts at looking good. They can dramatically affect how you feel about yourself and your appearance; especially when you head for the beach.
Cellulite is a progressive condition and if not treated can become a major stumbling block to self-esteem and a healthy body. The best treatment is early intervention. Any treatment modality on its own can make a big difference, but in our eyes it's not sufficient. Cellulite has different forms and grades and thus success at combating cellulite needs a combination of treatments that include lymphatic drainage, reduction of fat cells, stretching of connective tissue and collagen stimulation. The application of good, circulation stimulating products is also extremely beneficial.
At Body Renewal the following topical home therapies are recommended to improve the in-office treatments:
- Body Renewal recommends the use of contouring pressure, i.e. Neoprene Stocking to improve cellulite results.
At Body Renewal cellulite reducing supplements such as Zinsel, CLA, MSM with Vit C and Vit K2 & D3 are available to improve in-office treatments.
In Office treatments:
Body Renewal is excited to offer the next step in multi-modality therapy in treating cellulite. By carefully combining the above mentioned internationally recognized techniques and cutting edge technologies; we have developed a combination of non-invasive cellulite therapies that is bringing lipo-cellulite therapy to a whole new level. A highly professional team led by a medical doctor assesses every patient and an appropriate combination treatment together with long term maintenance program is recommended. Our ultimate goal is to achieve consistent and successful results with minimal downtime and discomfort for our patients.
More than 80% of women over the age of 20, regardless of their weight or size, are affected by cellulite and exercise resistant fat. Cellulite can dramatically affect how you feel about yourself and your appearance; especially at summertime when you head for the beach.
Cellulite packages include the affordable miracle gas of Carboxytherapy which:
- Improves cellulite by improving the venous insufficiency which causes poor circulation and the build-up of toxins
- Improves varicose and spider veins as the problem of venous insufficiency is addressed
- Treats localized fat deposits effectively,
- Tightens superficial skin with long term collagen stimulation
- Improves difficult to treat stretch marks
Carboxytherapy is truly a revolutionary, new non-surgical treatment that can deliver dramatic results without surgery in a short space of time.Read More