Melasma, also known as hormonal pigmentation, is a considerable problem for South African women. It is a chronic skin condition that occurs on the face in the form of brown patches and is a dynamic (active) condition that needs lifelong management.
Body Renewal Tip
- Avoid sun exposure to your face, neck and décolleté and wear a protective hat when outdoors for extended periods to further block these rays.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30+ to block the UVA rays every day to help prevent melasma/hormonal pigmentation
- In addition your sunscreen you should also apply an anti oxidants such as Vit C, Vit E , Ferulic and Phloretin to protect against infra red A
- At least 5 mls/1 teaspoon of sunscreen should be applied daily to the face, neck and décolleté twice a day to prevent melasma/hormonal pigmentation
- Taking an oral anti oxidant supplement such as Ovelle or Heliocare daily is clinically proven to raise one's level of resistance to the sun and also helps to reduce the melanin content in the skin down the line.
- A daily high dose of 4000 mg of MSM per day will increase intra cellular Glutathione and help reduce pigmentation in the Skin
- As melasma is a dynamic condition and needs to be managed daily and indefinitely, one day of unintentional sun burn can set you back.
- At Skin Renewal we recommend that you avoid hot baths, Bikram Yoga, steam saunas, tanning beds and dry saunas as they can cause excessive inflammation and may aggravate hormonal pigmentation.
- A perfect antidote to dull, pigmented skin in the winter months is one of Skin Renewal's signature facial: the Brightening mesoglow facial with transdermal brightening agents. This pampering facial is a four-in-one treatment and is exciting everyone who tries it out as its versatile, suits everyone and leaves skin tighter, brighter, younger and fresher.
- There are also a wide range of Chemical peels available which are indicated for Hormonal pigmentation such as Dermamelan & Cosmelan Depigmentaion treatments, Skin Renewal 3D Peel, TCA Peels, Melanostop Peel, and Beta Hydroxy Peel.